The Scooter Cannonball Run is a coast to coast endurance event for scooters. It is a time/distance/regularity rally where points are awarded based on miles completed and the ability to maintain the standard pace. This year it will begin in Savannah, GA and end eight days later in San Diego, CA covering 2633 miles. There are over 50 entrants riding all types of scooters. From a 1946 Salibury to a modern 3 wheel Piaggo MP3. I have decided join the fun this year. We will leave Savannah on April 22 and head west. I will be riding to raise money for KIDS and LEMUR'S charities. Please help us by purchasing some miles for one of these charities. Don't worry, I will be covering close to 6,000 miles out to California and back to Florida, so there are plenty of miles to go around. ALL monies go directly to the charity.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

St. Pete to Jacksonville


View Larger Map

There he sits.  Big Red.  In all his glory.  New tires, new belt, new rollers and guides, fresh oil.  Shiny wash and wax.  Loaded up and GPS programed.  He is raring to go.


I, on the other hand, am trying to stumble into my new riding pants/rain gear.

now, how does this go?


We are loaded and we roaring off to Jacksonville, FL.


 off into the dawn

We immediately jump in the fast lane and get on I-275 and the Howard Franklin Bridge to Tampa.


From there we stay in the fast lane on the Suncoast Parkway and blow through all the tolls in the SunPass lane.  They will mail me a bill and last time they only got me at one out of the four tolls.

 sunrise on the bridge



It was a nice ride across the state in to Brumos Porsche racing where Don and I went to lunch. They are getting the car ready to head off to the Homestead race next week, so I did not hang around and get in their way.


Luckily I dodged most of the rainstorms and rolled into Debs about 1PM.

 Big red evicts all cars for the grand position




Deb and Vicki are my Pit Crew for the weekend.  They really know how to treat a driver. Deb has a, shall we say, less than satisfying job.  However, since she hires a lot of outside lawyers they really suck up to her and shower her with presents. So the "Pit Crew" is only serving me and Big Red the best champagne for the weekend.