- I caught the Amtrak Starlighter #17 overnight train from Oakland to Seattle leaving at 9 p.m. on Friday and arriving at 8 p.m. on Saturday....more or less. It was a great trip. The weather was clear and so everything out my window was just like in the brochures. Snow covered majestic mountains, high marshes with lots of varied waterfowl, twisty tracks with lots of snow. Food was very good and the service was excellent in the dining cars.
- Met Vicki in Seattle and began the “payback” tour for her. Seattle has an excellent public transport so we caught the Light Rail from the airport to downtown to pick up a rental car and saved over $70 in taxes and fees.
- Drove half the Cascade Loop. The northern half was still closed. Four nights in a condo on the water in Lake Chelan, Washington was fantastic. Especially since my butt did not have to ride around much.
- Back to Seattle where we met our best friend Deb and took an Alaska cruise. They were busy on and off the boat and I read and rested on the boat getting ready for the return trip.
- Deb turned 60 this year and Vicki turns 60 next year, so they are on a 2 year “I am 60 celebration” and they are checking things off the list. Alaska was just one of the list items.