The Scooter Cannonball Run is a coast to coast endurance event for scooters. It is a time/distance/regularity rally where points are awarded based on miles completed and the ability to maintain the standard pace. This year it will begin in Savannah, GA and end eight days later in San Diego, CA covering 2633 miles. There are over 50 entrants riding all types of scooters. From a 1946 Salibury to a modern 3 wheel Piaggo MP3. I have decided join the fun this year. We will leave Savannah on April 22 and head west. I will be riding to raise money for KIDS and LEMUR'S charities. Please help us by purchasing some miles for one of these charities. Don't worry, I will be covering close to 6,000 miles out to California and back to Florida, so there are plenty of miles to go around. ALL monies go directly to the charity.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

TOQEURVILLE TO MONUMENT VALLEY

May 26



View Larger Map

I am usually up before 6 but today I was still fast asleep when John knocked on the door.  He said I should make a run for it while the Zion curtain was open.  John is a great guy and I sure enjoyed visiting him in his new location.




I came this way because there were several places I wanted to see.  The north rim of the Grand Canyon  was one of the main events.  Unfortunately my timing is bad and there are no hotel rooms anywhere near it.  So, I bypassed it and headed for Monument Valley were I could get a room.


Today is Deja vu all over again.  I came to Kayenta in 2010 on Scoot from the south and the wind was blowing like crazy.  Today it was brutal.  Winds were gusting to 55 mph. It got really brutal when I left Page and turned south. With wide open throttle I saw speeds as slow as 35 mph and rarely over 55.  After 65 miles of getting beat to death I hit US160 and turned east in the canyon. The canyon gave protection from the southerly winds until about 15 miles from Kayenta when the canyon opened up.   There were no tourist stops today.


NWS WX ALERT
A Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 30 to 39 mph... or
gusts from 40 to 57 mph... are expected. Winds this strong can
make driving difficult... especially for high profile vehicles.
Consider securing loose belongings on your property.



They were not lying.
The white is blowing sand



There are about 10 motorcycle riders in the lobby of the Hampton waiting for the wind to die down. Others came and went looking for a room.  The next possible room is 70 miles away in the wind.

Nice blown hair look


I hope it is not Deja Vu tomorrow.  Last time it SNOWED!!




Today's slide show